Extractable Nuclear antigen and Anti-smith (sm) antibodies detection in Systemic Lupus Erythematosus in Chennai, Tamilnadu, India.
Hygeia.J.D.Med.4 (1), April2012-October 2012,69-72
Authors: KarthikeyanM1, Rajendran P2, Anandan S3, Ashok G4,Kannan M5, Nivedha R6, Melani Rajendran S7 and Porkodi 8
1. Department of Microbiology, SivarajInstitute of Medical Sciences, Salem, Tamilnadu, India.
2. Department of Microbiology, SriRamachandra Medical College and Research Institute, Chennai, India.
3. Department of Dermatology, SriRamachandra Medical College and Research Institute, Chennai, India.
4. Manipal Center for Virus Research,Manipal, Karnataka, India.
5. Department of Biotechnology, KVMEngineering College, Kerala..
6. Department of Endodontist, SriVenkateswara Dental College, Chennai, India.
7. Department of Anatomy, SriRamachandra Medical College and Research Institute, Chennai, India.
8. Department of Rheumatology, MadrasMedical College, Chennai, India.
Received: 29 November, 2011,
Revised: 20 December 2011,
Accepted: 20 January 2012,
Available online: 5 April 2012
Plan: Thisstudy elaborates on the demographic, clinical and laboratory characteristics inSLE cases from Tamilnadu State, India.
Methodology: Eighty-two patients with SLE ,fulfilling theclinical and laboratory criteria of the American Rheumatism Association (ARA)admitted to the Government General Hospital and Sri Ramachandra Medical collegeand Research Institute, Chennai, Tamilnadu ,India between 2008 and 2010 wereanalysed.There were 77 females and 5 males with an average age of 30 years at theonset of disease.
Outcome: The clinical characteristics of SLE patientsobserved in order of frequency were fever and arthritis (52%), Raynaud’sphenomenon (45%), malar rash (26%), nausea (21%), pleuritis and photosensitivity(19%), thrombocytopenia (15%), oral ulcer (15%), alopecia (11%) and seizures(10%). Extractable nuclear antigen (ENA) and Sm antibodies were positive in65.9% and 63.4% patients respectively. Theclinical features of SLE in Chennai, Tamilnadu State, India were similar to otherstudies from developed countries.
Keywords: Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE), ENA, Sm antibodies,Autoimmunity.
2. Materials and methods
3. Results and discussion
For downloading full text articles and issues in PDF, at free of cost , you have to fillup the hygeia registration form. At any time, you may request for the removal of yourcontact information from our website database.
Contact: +91 9791030122
© 2011 All rights reserved. 2229 3590, 0975 6221